Unto all the Ends of the Earth...

"Wait for the Gift that my Father has promised...you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

One Month Post

Good evening to you all!  I trust that everyone is enjoying the harvest season!  Today marks one month that I have been in Argentina.  Here, it seems like Spring is having a hard time making up its mind.  Some days it is sunny and incredibly hot, other days its 45 degrees and pouring rain... and the every day summer gets closer!
I have been busy here from the get go.  I arrived wed. a.m. and that night attended the evening worship with the congregation in the west zone of the town.  Thursday in the morning I began serving in Juan Sieber's chacra (farm), to help get the church's recreation center ready; and in the evening the youth had a prayer meeting in the apartment above the west zone.  Every morning during the week I work in the chacra until noon.
Other highlights so far have been going to Sunday morning worship in the local jail with some of the inmates there, one weekend I went with the mission team to Las Grutas to work on the property that the Church owns and meet some of the fishermen who are living very hard lives on the Atlantic shore.
Mostly, life here has taken a routine, it is definitely not a summer vacation here!  This is my ordinary life during the weekdays:
Mon-Fri: 0900-1230 Work in the recreation center

               1530-1930 Work with Chito (my host dad) helping him deliver construction material to clients
               Any free-time that I have I go and visit friends and drink Yerba Mate with them

               Sun: 1900 hrs Is the worship meetings, every month all of the church zones have a central meeting
                                     in the center zone

               Tues. 2000 hrs Some of the youth meet to have a prayer/intercessory time till 2230hrs
               Wed.  2000hrs  Wednesday night worship in the zone
               Sat.  2000 hrs. Worship meeting for the Youth (Ages 17-until married)
I am not sure how this agenda appears to the reader, but by the end of the week I feel short of breath!  But because of all that goes on I do get to meet more people, and I feel blessed just to be able to serve no matter what the work is.
As I have been studying and meditating in God's word, some things that I have found inspiring are that we have all been called to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, if we have received Him in our hearts as Lord and Savior- and that we can do very little if we are not living without the outpouring of His Spirit in our lives.  We don't have to go all the way to the end of the world to preach the gospel of Christ, there are people present in our immediate reach who need to here and believe the gospel of Christ, and whatever our situation we need to realize that God has placed us there to reach the lost; because that is His heart, to seek and save that which was lost.  In Jeremiah 1, and Luke 1:76-79 we are told the stories of two prophets who were called even before they were born to their ministry.  The reality is that we have all been called, even before our parents gave us names, God had a plan predestined for each one of us, and the most important part of that plan involves letting the life of Christ show through for all of our neighbors to see.
I hope this post finds you all well and growing in Christ,
Lots of love from the other end of the world!

Jake

No comments: